Thursday, October 31, 2013

MSBHBQAL linky doo dah

Almost done! Almost... The blog - famous Molli Sparkles Broken Herringbone Quilt a Long!

So, we have the dogs mini quilt. She appears to 'dribble' when on the couch so I wanted something for her to lay on that could be removed for when a human body wanted to sit on the couch and not get covered in white/black depending on what you are wearing, hair. Molli's Grandma sent me these fabrics, can't remember why but I no complain, it seemed fitting they be used for the QAL and even more so as it was Molli's idea and G'ma Sparkles was visiting - Kismet!

I still have to finish the binding on but Miss Daisy has well and truly adopted this blanket as hers! I have a plan to put it on the floor and see if she will sleep on it there... there is a method to my madness...


I didn't want to have any scraps left over so went on a bit of a piecing journey and did a crazy paving accent to the back.

Then... I decided I liked the BHB pattern and having 2 friends who were both pregnant and having bucket loads of rainbow strips left from swaps I decided to put my own spin on the BHB. I love white on quilts, love white as a colour. I found some cute white on white dragon fly material at my LQS and bought what was left on the bolt, came home and strip cut, found the brightest in coloured strips and put my own spin on the block...















 This is quilt #1... Baby Anna Joan came into the world just 2 days ago so this will be bound in pink and gifted when we meet her, can't wait! She looks like a wise soul, she's been here before this baby! I am thrilled for her mum and dad, dad especially. I have watched him grow into a fine young man and am over the moon he is a daddy.

Using quilt lite as the batting this quilt doesn't need a lot of quilting. I used some King Tut variegated rainbow thread and did a stitch in the ditch around the squares and then a fancy stitch between the rows and around the edges (after the photo was taken). Now to trim and bind...



And this second baby quilt which is taken on it's side, woops but I don't have time to retake the photo! This one is a white dot on white and done the same way. This is for a rainbow baby due in about 10 weeks time. This bubba had older twin brothers who never took a breath when they were born full term. Over the moon my friend is expecting again and can't wait till her new bundle is here and can be given this. I chose not to put a white border around it (a slight stuff up with the batting cut - being resourceful) I will bind it in white instead I think. This is on the machine at the moment being fancied up.



Joining in with the linky uppy think on Molli's blog!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I love your reverse/negative take on this rainbow herringbone baby quilt! Way to think outside of the quilty box, Sarah! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your alternative broken herringbone quilts! Might have to try this although still working on the QAL at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great version of the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Love your version and it is so fresh and clean looking!

    ReplyDelete