Wednesday, October 3, 2012

I've been quiet but busy...

I am sewing whenever I get a chance to but the posting about what I have sewn is what I am finding hard to find time for. Even posting on the 52week sewalution is hard...

When I went to the Sitches and Craft show earlier this year I bought a kit and a book to make a travel wallet up. The plan was I would make it in time for our holiday next March - tick! Done... It was a 2 hour project (including the hand stitching) pretty much from start to finish but done over a few days. Easy enough but gee, those teeny tiny squares of fabric did my head in cutting them and then sewing them up. I had several goes at sewing them in a straight line and gave up! I think because the weave was loose on some of the linens they didn't handle being handled. But I am happy with the result, it's mine and I am a little warped! I personalised the suitcase to suit moi! We are off to NZ, Raro, Paris and of course Sydney... my 4 favourite places in the world...


 What would I change about this pattern? Perhaps the thickness of the stiffner and not put a pen holder in the middle of the holder? I might have also done the inside pockets a little differently... but, it's all about learning and leaning to see beyond the instructions to the finished article.

While also at the show I bought the Make it Perfect bucket hat pattern. Thinking I was getting a good deal at the time (because it had 4 sizes on it and I thought I could make hats for Stef and I) I thought it was $17 well spent. The hats are SO simple to make, seriously, easy peasy. Made this one for Amelia



And this one for Grandma - 'cept Grandma's don't fit her...


 I have a lady at sewing who it might fit, if not, it will stay in the car as a spare...

Amelia has also been sewing, she had an 'assessment on a machine' during one of my sewing classes and managed to make this little bag up! There was minimal help from anyone, a little bit of unpicking, and I pressed it for her (although I think she had a bit of a go first)


 Very proud of her efforts...


I bought a scrap of fabric in the remnant bin at CA Boyle Textiles for $1 on my first visit. It was about a metre long and the standard 112cm wide. I liked the delicateness of the fabric, light and summery. I had earmarked it to make some fabric napkins. My Aunt bought me a teapot and Mum the sugar bowl and creamer when their visits coincided earlier this year then mum surprised me with 4 plates and teacups and saucers for my birthday. While not the 'perfect' match they are pretty close and the napkins were dead easy to make! I feel more of these will be in my future (and Christmas gifts!.


In the same visit to CA Boyle I bought 2metres of this blue flower fabric, imgaining a dress for Amelia with a full skirt and some serious white trim. As madam is now comfortably wearing a size 10 I need at least 3metres of fabric for the skirt alone almost! In any case, I didn't have enough of any fabric at home to make a dress so I settled on this very simple pleated skirt. I had it cut out before I went to sewing class and it took me about an hour to make it up. It is SO easy to make and looks so fantastic on her I see a lot more in her wardrobe too! I can't find the pattern on www.sewingpatterns.com but when I find the number I will edit the post. There are 4 skirts on this pattern, one of a handful of patterns I have in Amelia's size.

Amelia teamed it up with a long sleeve crimson top and a pink t-shirt yesterday and wore it again today this time with a white long sleeved top and a pink shirt on top. I love the crossgrain ribbon on the bottom, not only does it give the skirt some weight and stop it flying up in the breeze it also helps the swish/sway factor. She loves it, I love it and for less than $10 really, what's not to love!

I also finished the last 2 button holes on CC's cushions, hope to stuff those Friday night and give them to her Saturday morning so will take pics of the 6 together.

Next project, 2 summer nighties (cut and overlocked just waiting to be sewn) and a swirly twirly dress when the other 2metres of fabric arrives (hopefully tomorrow!)... once again, I am short of metre-age... then onto a skirt for me (or dress,haven't decided yet which) and some teachers gifts... and and and...

No comments:

Post a Comment