Sunday, January 16, 2011

PJ Sunday

Long before the dawn had come this morning (about midday yesterday to be honest), today was declared a PJ day by Amelia and after the past few weeks of racing here there and everywhere, I wasn't going to argue! About 10 days ago we had to pack the sewing machine away when we had a friend over for a sleepover and it has been sitting lonely for all that time... With open homes happening as well there wasn't much point in dragging everything I need from one end of the house to the other. Yesterday when we returned from being out for the open home Amelia said 'I'm going to choose a movie mummy and you are going to get your sewing machine out'!

 And I did, well, I got some fabric out and some half finished projects out ready to be stitched today. Pinning binding on was about all I could cope with last night so I had 2 things ready to sew today.

First on the list was the bias binding and 'collar' and popper stud on the back of the green nightie, DONE!

Not the best shot but it was in the process of being folded and put away to wear tomorrow night.... you take what you can get!

I also put some binding on a top for me I have been working on. It isn't quite as long as I would like so I want to have a 'Disney-free' moment to get my head around how to fix it.

Ages ago I made a curtain for the glass door in our bedroom that goes through into our Sunroom.
With the house on the market we rearranged the bedroom again and this is what I see in the morning and the light in summer coming through the door is intense. I am amazed at the heat this simple $12 length of fabric from Ikea keeps out as well! While it doesn't darken the room it dulls the light which is what I wanted (and in a few weeks it won't matter because I will have a different bedroom, with a street light to worry about!). In the sunroom we have some really old daggy dodgy curtains that hung at some point in a room in Stef's parents house or rumpus room or they may have just been picked up at Vinnie's for a bargain! I hated them! We had them at Stef's villa and the day he had vertical blinds installed (as ugly as they are) it was a bit of a hooray moment for me when I put them neatly in a cupboard. Sadly they followed us here... but they served a purpose in the sunroom, keeping the light off the clothes and preventing them fading faster than some of them did. Our long term plan was to put something more permanent up outside but as we are on the move I didn't like the thought of leaving it blank so I spalshed out another $17 on some more fabric and made some curtains as well today. Shame they weren't up yesterday for the 6 parties we had through... not to worry! They are far from perfect but they will do the job.






Next on the list was a denim skirt for madam. I bought this pattern and fabric from Spotlight LAST winter!!! It looked like a pattern that would have to be concentrated on so I wanted to give it the attention it deserved but am disappointed it took so long to get around to making it. The reviews say this pattern was easy to follow, I don't know that we had the same set of instructions. I have used Burda patterns before and haven't had a problem, or perhaps I blocked it out! I am happy with the result as is Amelia who whipped it away ready to be worn proudly tomorrow. I love that she does this and am going to be sad when a home made dress doesn't cut it anymore with her!




All up I think it took me 3 hours to make this skirt, WAY too long! Lots of backing and forthing between 2 pages of instructions, but I think if I made it again, and I am sure I will whip it up in no time!

So while I haven't made a bit dent in the to do list I have crossed 3 things off. Next up is a pencil case, a dress with some gorgeous Voile we scored for $5 a meter at Spotlight, finishing Lucy's dress, making a bag to match and a duplicate for a jealous 5 year old and some winter nighties for Amelia and my God daughter Alyssa. Wonder what will get done before we move!

No comments:

Post a Comment