Sunday, July 21, 2013

Jumping the gun on finishes...

I have other things I have been sewing but to keep Miss Molli happy I will link this up (if I can figure out how to do it exactly) as a TGIF. Technically it was finished last week, just trying to find time to take photos at the moment is prooving difficult, camera location, weather or the all important time don't seem to be aligning in the planets in my wee life at present, let's not mention the headaches - I wish this full moon would get on with being full, I need sleep.

I love these strip and flip quilt tops, they come together really quickly, look fantastic and even my 7 year old daughter has managed one... When I was at home in New Zealand earlier this year I went to Spotlight specifically to buy some 'kiwi' fabric as one of these quilts was floating in my head for a friends kids. She's a kiwi, not sure what her partner is but I don't spend a lot of money on these kids as a rule so it seemed fitting I would give them each one of these just because.

I bought 15 fabrics in Auckland and then added a few more via this website as the fabrics I purchased didn't quite make it long enough. I will admit to one fabric being added in honor of Molli bending the rules with Batiks in a quilt because I like the way she roles and I love the fabric I chose. Can you see it?

So, the strip and flip process... I did my own thang here, I made 2 identical quilts and made the alternate strips cream in one quilt and red in the other then took the middle 'flip' and put them in the alternate quilt, one to break the red up and the other to add a bit of colour to the cream, I like the way it works. I also used the left over backing scraps for the binding for the opposite quilt which I think also works, it makes them individual but ties them together IYKWIM... I stuffed the binding up, slightly distracted by Paul Mercurio spinning his way across the dance floor on his knees, and cut it at 5" 's not 2.5" 's but I think it still works. I am working on the binding on the cream quilt this week and some hand stitched labels so will have another finish in a few days time... fingers crossed!





We have blues - the paua shells

The greens for ToiToi and Tea Tree bushes and Silver Ferns

Red Pohutakawa and Koru

The same fabric but on a black (or dark navy) background, just stunning!

I stitched in the ditch on the wide strips and FMQ'd squiggles in the middle sashing with a verigated Gutterman thread.

The binding, it doesn't look too bad!

Love this quilt.



This is my favourite fabric in the whole quilt. If I was brave I'd make myself something to wear out of it but I am a chicken!

What size it the quilt? I have no idea! It's big enough to wrap yourself up in to watch a favourite movie, large enough to throw over a kids bed and probably wide enough to be folded up at the end of a double bed. I tend to throw caution to the wind. It's WOF for the strips with 5" borders and sashing. The batting is quilt lite which in hind sight, as they are going to Melbourne, perhaps it should have been wool but I work on the prinicipal these might be a summer quilt or an add on quilt to a winter bed. Or perhaps they will be folded away and put in a cupboard! Who knows but I love giving things to people!




22 comments:

  1. I love them, and that fabric you love is gorgeous. Definitely make yourself something out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Miss Sparkles needs to keep up with you know

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penting untuk menjaga keseimbangan antara bermain game, bekerja, belajar, dan beristirahat. Hiburan akan terasa lebih menyenangkan jika dilakukan secara bijak. toto macau slot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Banyak casino games yang memiliki tampilan visual berkualitas tinggi. Animasi dan efek suara membuat permainan terasa lebih hidup. Pengalaman bermain menjadi semakin menarik. rajabandot link

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saya sering mencari informasi terbaru tentang casino games. Selalu ada pembaruan menarik dari berbagai penyedia permainan. Sangat menyenangkan mengikuti perkembangannya. iblbet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Casino games menjadi topik yang cukup menarik karena memiliki banyak variasi dan konsep permainan. Saya suka membaca pembahasan yang menjelaskan karakteristiknya dengan bahasa yang sederhana dan mudah dipahami. rajabandot login

    ReplyDelete
  7. Artikel mengenai casino games ini cukup nyaman untuk dibaca. Informasi yang diberikan terasa relevan dan penjelasannya menggunakan bahasa yang mudah dimengerti. slot online

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saya suka membaca informasi mengenai casino games yang disampaikan dengan cara sederhana. Pembahasan seperti ini cukup nyaman untuk diikuti dan dipahami. rajabandot

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saya menemukan pembahasan casino games ini cukup menarik dan informatif. Informasi mengenai berbagai karakteristik permainan memberikan wawasan tambahan bagi pembaca. rajabandot

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello. Great job. I did not anticipate this. This is a splendid articles. Thanks! BL555

    ReplyDelete
  11. Significant other, this excellent website is fabolous, i merely adore it rajabandot

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saya suka membaca pembahasan mengenai casino games yang berfokus pada informasi umum. Penjelasan yang netral terasa lebih mudah dipahami. Topiknya juga cukup menarik. togel 4d

    ReplyDelete
  13. Casino games memiliki banyak variasi tema yang membuat setiap permainan terlihat berbeda. Konsep visual dapat memberikan karakter tersendiri. Pembahasan ini cukup menambah wawasan. slot gacor

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog never ceases to amaze me, it is very well written and organized.”\"*”- Vivet clothing

    ReplyDelete
  15. HARGATOTO is known as the center of the official gacor slot bookmaker and a trusted toto togel site that presents a gaming experience with a modern system and stable access at all times. bandar toto

    ReplyDelete
  16. Saya suka membaca tentang variasi desain casino games. Setiap permainan mempunyai gaya visual sendiri. Informasinya cukup menambah wawasan. togel online slot

    ReplyDelete
  17. Saya tertarik dengan perubahan antarmuka pada casino games. Teknologi membuat tampilan semakin fleksibel. Perkembangan tersebut cukup menambah wawasan. slot resmi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Artikel ini memberikan gambaran mengenai perkembangan casino games. Teknologi menjadi bagian penting dalam perubahan desain. Pembahasannya cukup mudah dipahami. slot gacor

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lynk id is the official lynk id account of Katsu5 We are an online slot game provider site katsu5 resmi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Casino games memiliki banyak variasi tema yang menarik untuk diamati. Setiap permainan mempunyai tampilan dan karakter berbeda. Informasinya cukup menarik untuk dibaca. slot88

    ReplyDelete
  21. Casino games merupakan topik yang cukup luas untuk dibahas. Ada permainan kartu, permainan meja, dan berbagai format lainnya. Masing-masing mempunyai konsep yang berbeda dan menarik untuk dipelajari. toto macau terpercaya

    ReplyDelete